The Safety Committee of Northeast Shores wanted to share some safety tips for you and your family this holiday season.
As you visit your local mall or (better yet) SHOP THE NEIGHBORHOOD, stay alert and aware of your surroundings.
Here are some tips to ensure a positive December (and beyond):
• Try not to go shopping alone, use the buddy system.
• Park in a well lit area.
• Avoid parking next to vans, trucks with camper shells, or cars with tinted windows.
• Put packages in the trunk of your car if you are going to multiple stores.
• Have your keys in your hand as you approach your car.
• Leave your purse at home if you can. Put your money and ID in a front pocket, if possible.
• Use your debit/credit card to avoid carrying large amounts of cash with you.
• Be Careful at ATM machines use one in a secure location such as inside a mall or store.
• When you use an ATM machine, shield your PIN number from the view of others.
• Take your purchase or ATM receipts with you, rather than putting them into the trash.
• Make sure your doors are locked when you leave, even if you are just leaving for a minute or you are outside putting up those Holiday Decorations.
• After wrapping your presents put them somewhere for safe keeping, don’t leave them visible from a window or door.
• If you purchase an artificial tree, look for the label "Fire Resistant."
• Inspect the wiring on your holiday light displays to make sure it is not frayed or damaged.
Last but not least Please Shop the Neighborhood. The local merchants and businesses need your support.
Please have a safe and happy Holiday Season!