Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Thoughts from the Northeast Shores Intern

We asked Megan Lanning to share some thoughts about her current experience interning here at Northeast Shores. Here is what she wrote:

As an intern at Northeast Shores and the newest member to their team, I am able to see first hand what it takes to improve the North Collinwood area. My name is Megan Lanning and I am the Commercial District Intern at Northeast Shores. I am a member of the Villa Angela-St. Joseph class of 2005 and a soon to be graduate of Cleveland State University’s Maxine Goodman Levine College of Urban Affairs class of 2010 with my degree in Urban Planning. Part of my graduation requirement was to fulfill an internship from a list of places that CSU provides. Instead of using their suggestions I decided to contact Northeast Shores for and Internship opportunity where I knew I would get hands on experience in the field of Urban Planning. It wasn’t long after the initial contact that I had an interview and then a position.

Since my first day on the job, I have been introduced to new programs and projects everyday. I have learned about programs and projects such as, the Paint Program and the Storefront Renovation Program, to the LaSalle Theater project and the Corsica Gardens. Through observing these programs, I have learned so much more about Northeast Shores than I knew before. I have such a great respect for the amount of community involvement each member of the staff has, no matter how great or small the task, the staff here at Northeast Shores makes it a point to inform and get the opinions of the community. Like most college students I am nervous to graduate and enter the real world, but Northeast Shores has shown me how to apply the concepts I have learned in the classroom to the problems most urban areas are facing. I will be graduating in May and couldn’t be more proud to say that I had the experience of working with Northeast Shores Development Corporation.


Megan is a pleasure in the office and her time with us is passing way too fast!

No comments: